Temperature - Average 37-38° C but up to 40° C in a horse at rest.
- weather can affect the reading by up to 1° C
- Exercise, stress, or excitement will raise temperature
- respiratory colds and infected cuts can generate temperatures 39-40°C
- Viral infections cause temperatures under 37 or upto 41-42°C.
Breathing Rate - Average rate of a mature horse at rest is 8-15 breaths per minute.
- This will increases with hot or humid weather, exercise, fever or pain
Heart Rate - Average Horse resting rate of 38-40 bpm (beats per minute)
- Foals average 70-120 bpm and 2 year olds 40-50 bpm
- Maximum heart rates can be over 180 bpm when exercising.
- Rates staying over 60 bpm in a resting horse can be a sign of trouble.
- Rates over 80 bpm in horses at rest can be cause for alarm.